Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Simple Solutions

A poignant dichotomy occurred this weekend that really brought home the fact that there are such simple and inexpensive solutions available for some of the world’s top reasons for loss of life… and yet so many do not have access to them. The difference of a few US dollars can mean the difference between life and death.

This weekend, as we were staying at the Mayor of Lugazi’s house, his 17-year-old daughter, Rita, passed by and we asked how she was doing. She shruggingly said that she had just returned from a visit to the hospital, where she had I think received an IV, and then was sent home with some medicine that would clear her system in a few days. We said we were sorry, and she said she was feeling alright and just needed to rest up for a day. Next day she was back and moving.

Kristen and I were called in last-minute to teach the young women’s class in church this Sunday because all of the teachers were preparing for the funeral of a young boy in the congregation who had died of malaria. I do not know the situation of the family, but my bet is that they are not the most well-to-do. An IV and a few pills!

At the beginning of William Easterly’s book “The White Man’s Burden” he talks about two great tragedies: one being the unacceptable number of people living in extreme poverty. And two, being that with all of the trillions of dollars poured in to “foreign aid” by the rich countries, so little of it has actually reached those who really need it.

Since I’m new at blogging, I don’t know how to end a sad blog entry. Okay, let’s try this: with such simple and inexpensive solutions to some of the world’s greatest health challenges, we all can contribute a little that can make a much greater impact. Do a little research into the organizations that are really using homegrown solutions, rather than handing over money to inefficient or corrupt entities (such as governments) and contribute what you can. Here’s a few I’ve heard of:

Heifer International – an organization that works to end world hunger and allows you to contribute money towards buying a cow, a flock of chicks, a goat, or even a water buffalo for families who have experienced a natural disaster around the world. www.heifer.org

Kiva- a renowned online microfinance organization where you can donate for as small as $25 towards loans to be given to qualified entrepreneurs in the developing world. http://www.kiva.org/

New heroes- bios of incredible people who have created extremely innovative solutions to social problems. Read up and get inspired on how you can implement your own ideas! http://www.pbs.org/opb/thenewheroes/meet/

Good luck! Let me know of any more fun ways to get involved, your ideas, or what you have done or are currently doing!

4 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about similar things to this a lot this week. After hearing about the Typhoid and Malaria I started thinking about how blessed we truly are that we can turn on our water and trust it to be clean. It's hard for me to understand how we can have this and other countries don't. It seems to be more common than I ever realized. It seems that such simple things can save so much! Is it just the money that is lacking these people? Knowledge? Initiative? Ambition? I'm glad to live where I live and have the things I have. We truly are a blessed people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really sad about that boy. I'm sorry to hear that. The thing that's so sad about so many people, and especially children, dying in Africa, is 40 years ago developing countries had nearly wiped out malaria with DDT( a pesticide). The government has now outlawed it because some studies claim it harms birds and fish. Since the stop of it a dramatic increase of deaths from malaria have risen to one million a year. So sad. I have seen also people die because they did not have a few dollars to get medicine. Since serving a mission I promised myself I would give more fast offerings and donate more to the Perpetual Education Fund. I see have seen just how awesome that program is. I always wanted to know of other charitable orginizations that weren't corrupt. I will definitely look in to those. Thanks for sharing - that's wonderful. God bless you and those people:) love ya Karolee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melissa, It's Karolee again. So our relief society wants to do humniataian project service. I have no idea how long you are there, but is there something that we could do or make that the people need there and some way to send it to you of others who could distribute it?( to a mission office maybe) Maybe little hygiene kits, washable feminie hygiene pads, baby sleepers, mosquito nets, childrens picture books about germs and washing your hands? I don't know just ideas, but if you think of something we could do or send let me know. That would be fun. My email is still karoleedick@hotmail.com or just post a comment here.

    ReplyDelete